Friday, August 15, 2014

Oriental Salad with Ramen Noodles

From Busy Mom Recipes
via My Mom :)



Oriental Salad
1 bag of cole slaw
1 bag of broccoli cole slaw (shown below)
1 pkg. Oriental ramen noodles **see the recipe for homemade Oriental flavor!
1 small bag of slivered almonds
cashews or peanuts (optional)
Dressing
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS. soy sauce
Season packet from the Ramen noodles
Preheat oven to 300-degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with foil to save on clean up.
Spread the bag of slivered almonds over the foil.

Break up the uncooked noodles in the
packet of Ramen noodles and spread them
out with the slivered almonds.

Bake noodles and almonds
for about 12 minutes or until golden.

If you are making this ahead to serve the
salad later, allow to cool,
then seal in a ziplock bag until ready to toss salad.

While noodles and almonds are baking,
mix up the dressing.
I start by measuring the sugar,
then mixing in the oil so the sugar doesn't stick to
the oil in the measuring cup.
Stir all the ingredients together and
set aside until you're ready to toss salad.

To toss salad, add the cole slaw
and broccoli cole slaw to a large bowl.

Mix the slaws together.

Add the toasted almonds and Ramen noodles
and mix.

Add 1/2 cup cashews or peanuts
if desired.  I think the nuts really add flavor and crunch.
This day, I only had unsalted peanuts, but I prefer cashews
in this salad.

The dressing constantly separates,
so right before you add it to the salad,
stir well.

Then pour it quickly.

The salad will be tastier when marinated
with the dressing for one to two hours before serving.
If you bring this salad to a potluck,
they'll EAT IT UP!

I have only ever used just 2 bags of broccoli slaw for this. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I'm not a huge cabbage fan.

I also omit the extra nuts....but I'm sure it'd be good (I usually just don't have them).

I could eat this salad every day. I love it so much. 







1 comment:

  1. Oooh - I just made this with maple syrup instead of white sugar. Yum! I used just shy of 1/4 C Maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete