Monday, May 11, 2009

Meat Loaf

This recipe is from my Better Homes & Garden cookbook - but I change it up a bit...

Prep: 20 minutes
Bake 45 minutes
Oven 350 degrees

1 beaten egg
3/4 c soft bread crumbs (1 slice) or 1/4 c fine dry bread crumbs (I skip these and use 1/2 c grape nuts)
1/4 c milk, beer, apple juice or water (I use milk)
1 c finely chopped onion (1/2 of a medium) or 1 Tbsp dried minced (I use 1/2 pkg of onion soup mix)
1/4 c finely chopped celery, green sweet pepper or shredded carrot (I use carrots)
2 Tbsp snipped parsley (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage, thyme, basil or oregano, crushed or dried dillweed (I usually skip spices since I use the soup mix)
1 lb ground beef (I use turkey)
2 Tbsp bottled bbq sauce, chili sauce or ketchup (I use ketchup)

1. In a mixing bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, milk, onion, carrots & spices. Add ground meat. Mix well.

2. In a shallow baking dish, pat mixture into a loaf.

3. Bake at 350 til no pink remains. (I just use the meat thermometer). Bake for 45-50 minutes. Transfer to platter. Top with ketchup. Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of adding beer to meatloaf - sounds good! I use some form of turkey in my meatloaf, too - usually end up with 40% lean ground beef & 60% turkey sausage.

    ReplyDelete