Friday, August 15, 2014

Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes

From

Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes
 Since I'm trying this Gluten Free thing, I'm trying to find things that I can make/bake that still make me happy. While these pancakes are not like....um, REAL pancakes, I liked them & I knew they were super healthy for me. The batter is very runny (I did  not mix these up right according to the recipe...) but that was okay. I just made them smack in the middle of my griddle one at a time and they turned out more like thin Swedish pancakes (which ironically I can NEVER get to turn out thin enough!). I enjoyed these more the next day when I spread them with strawberry cream cheese & ate them in my lunch! Yum! I'm planning on making a batch (sans syrup) to take camping so I can use them more like tortillas than pancakes. Enjoy!



Serves: Yields 10-12 4" Pancakes
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of gluten free all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (flax meal)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sugar, honey)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup of milk (or non dairy)
Instructions
  1. In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together flour, flax meal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, vanilla, applesauce, and milk. Slowly mix in half of the liquid into dry bowl, stirring continuously, and the rest ¼ cup at a time to avoid a runny batter (not all gluten free mixes are the same see note below). Mix until you get the lumps out of the batter. You don't want it to be too thick or too runny. There's a happy medium and 1 cup + 2 isn tablespoons should be just about right.
  3. On a greased, heated griddle over medium heat (or pan on your stovetop), begin to cook pancakes about a ¼ cup of the batter for each one.
  4. Cook 1-2 minutes until they start to bubble around the edges, and flip. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment